Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Haven't managed to call the disabilities office yet. I suck. So tomorrow I guess I'll just call and ask if I can be fit in that day. I also have to find the office of the registrar to drop a class, and call the athletic office to see about getting season hockey tickets for next year.

I saw this today in a forum and really liked. The person who wrote it is a mother of a college student with asperger's.

"Let's say I'm bemoaning the fact that my child always comes in last in the hundred meter dash. You might say that lots of people can't run fast - he may not be training, he may be wearing ill fitting shoes, he may be eating the wrong foods, he may be hungover on race days, he may be obese, he may not be a hard worker, he may not have the self motivation to push himself. Then I say, "he broke his leg and he's on crutches." Once you have that information, you don't keep saying, "he doesn't have the motivation, he's not working hard enough." You realize that there is a reason he can't run fast.

Executive function disorder is the reason these kids have so much trouble. "

No comments:

Post a Comment